Book Club Qs
The Kurdish Bike is very popular with book clubs. The author will give a free presentation to your club upon request, showing photos of real people in the book and explaining what they are doing today.
Many public libraries have free book club kits, providing a dozen or more copies to local groups. Just ask your librarian.
Here are questions many clubs have enjoyed to deepen their discussion of the book.
* Have you ever wanted to leave everything and move to a foreign country, like Theresa did? Did you ever do so? Why, or why not?
* Did you approve of the way Theresa tried to balance Kurdish and Western values? What could/should she have done differently?
* Do you think that Seema ended up being cut? Was it important to know for sure?
* If you were one of the expat teachers at The Fortress, what would you have done about the issue of academic integrity?
* The novel takes place in a peaceful window after Al Qaeda and just before the rise of ISIS. How do you think Rabinowitz reacted to ISIS taking over large swaths of Iraq?
* Do you think Theresa was brave versus stupid? Naive? Overly trusting? A hero or a victim? What decisions would you have made differently?
* Is there anything that Theresa could/should have done to protect Soz or Bezma?
If you have other questions — either for the author, or to suggest to other book groups — we’d love to hear them. Write to us